Number 38 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Geoffrey Bird
September 23, 2013
Geoffrey is a passionate communicator. He teaches students how to become communicators and marketers. Watching him with his class you can tell he is not only respected but they like him. Not always the case in these environments. Teachers can lose perspective and passion with time. Geoffrey keeps up to date and encourages learning through other experts and current topical events. He is exactly the kind of person we need to help groom the next generation of connectors.
Somewhere between shy and outgoing.
What helped you become a good communicator?
Online sources/newsletters (which ones?) - TEDTalks, Seth Godin
Mentors, family, friends, co-workers - Good bosses (and even some bad ones) and co-workers
Other - Looking for and collecting samples of effective, interesting and innovative communications.
What are the traits of a good communicator?
Listening skills and really, really understanding your audience.
What tip or advice would you give to people to help them become better communicators?
Learn everything and don't stop learning. Practise. Tell a story (or two). Love what you do. Surround yourself with talented people (you will need their support).
What is your biggest communication related pet peeve?
Clients who don't have the patience or planning to get it right the first time.
Who do you think is a famous compelling communicator?
Steve Jobs - selling skills
Stuart McLean - great Canadian storyteller
Terry O'Reilly - Canadian marketer, educator, and communication advocate
Seth Godin - because he is always out there
Please share a communications story (good or bad) that would be beneficial for others.
Early in my career as a copywriter at a local radio station, I was given an assignment to write a promotional spot for a contest to see the Rolling Stones in New York City. The great thing about this task was that my work would be submitted into a competition for best creative amongst hundreds of other radio stations that were offering this exact same promotion. Gauntlet thrown. Challenge accepted.
As I approached the job, I remember thinking to myself, “What will all of the other radio stations do?” I wrote out all of the possibilities, and made sure I didn’t do any of them while remaining relevant to the goals and objectives of the assignment. Once our radio ad was produced, I knew we had a winner. It would be unlike anything else the other radio stations would produce and sure enough, I was right – it won.
With any creative challenge I take on as a communicator today, I always remember that rule I defined for myself: ask yourself, “What would everyone else would do?” and, don’t do it. It’s a basic concept, but many communicators lose sight of the opportunity to do something fresh and engaging with their work.
After spending 20 years in the marketing and communications industry, Geoffrey now teaches communications to aspiring marketers in the business school of a leading Canadian polytechnic institute - BCIT.

0 comments