Number 37 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Candy Chang
September 16, 2013
I grew up around art. My
artistic parents owned an art materials store and our home was filled to the brim
with their work as well that of others. I marvel at people’s ability to
translate their feelings and ideas via distribution of paint on canvas or the
construction of materials. Art speaks its own language.
Candy Chang is an artist
who connects and entices people to participate in the message. I experienced
one of her inspired ideas in my Chinatown neighbourhood. Mounted in an alleyway
was a huge board with the words “Before I die, I want to...” with plenty of
space for comments. Passersby added their thoughts and voila – interactive,
highly communicative art:
![]() |
| Candy Chang inspired "Before I die..." blackboard in Chinatown, Vancouver |
Here is a TED talk where
Candy explains her concept:
What intrigued me about this unique form of communicating was her ability to see a big message board where most could only see a gritty, boarded-up building. Then, she brilliantly comes up with a subject that inspires and provokes.
Some of the comments are funny but most tell a deeper story of a desire for happiness for themselves or others.
What intrigued me about this unique form of communicating was her ability to see a big message board where most could only see a gritty, boarded-up building. Then, she brilliantly comes up with a subject that inspires and provokes.
Some of the comments are funny but most tell a deeper story of a desire for happiness for themselves or others.
Here are some examples:
Before I die I want
to...
…save a life
…help the fight to
end cancer
…adopt a child
…love
…get more people talking about death,
dying and bereavement
That last one hit a hot button
for me. We are all heading for the same fate yet we don’t seem to want to
discuss it. Don’t get me wrong, I relish life and all its elements and I am by
no means ready to go. I just want to think about things I want to do before I
get to that final chapter.
Thanks to Candy for her creative talents and unique methods to get us into the conversation.

0 comments