Number 30 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Albert Einstein

July 29, 2013


I have the good fortune to work with brilliant academics and scientists. My friends find it amusing that I am drawn to science and the people who work in it. Math and physics were never my forte. But my connection to this scholarly world makes total sense to me.


I have heard a theory (not scientific but experiential) that many people attracted to these areas (engineers, researchers, mathematicians and other high IQ types) are not gifted or trained with a lot of EQ – emotional intelligence. I believe my work with people who fall into this camp is to help them use that EQ portion of their brains. They, in turn, help me understand subjects I did not even know existed. It is a totally logical, mutually beneficial sharing of knowledge.

It is for that reason, I am adding Albert Einstein to my list of compelling communicators. He, somehow, was able to connect even though general discourse was not in his comfort zone. If you look at some of the old film footage of his speeches you will see his unease at the podium. 




Much like the people I work with today, I expect he was more comfortable in heady scientific discussions. This next video raises the question of the possibility Einstein was autistic, you will hear how he did not speak until the age of 4. His first words were “cold soup”.  You will hear that his lectures were often confusing. Perhaps his quirkiness and humour helped endear him to the public. 




People who have this level of brilliance often seem to have the same traits – total deep concentration in specific areas and lack of interest or capability in social skills.

Through media training and facilitating sessions with many amazing genius-level brainiacs, I know they can be compelling to those of us who operate on a different level. Not a better or worse level, just different. I have found that once they understand basic communications, via techniques or science-based study, they embrace it fully and excel. They just need to see some evidence or formulas they can apply. Remember, they are really smart.

I have heard Einstein’s mathematical language described as beautiful. Having looked at some of his papers I expect that is true for those with high functioning parietal and prefrontal cortex brain bits. Those are the sections of our brains that are good at math and memory…I think.

Einstein is iconic with the word genius and his face continues to be a brand unto itself. However, if you asked the person on the street what his work means or how it has impacted our lives, I expect many would be hard pressed to give a good answer.

Here is a link to a quick clip that illustrates how his work impacts us today.

If this has intrigued you to want to know more about this remarkable man and his work, here is a hour-long documentary. Worth watching and inspiring. Independent thinking coupled with a curious mind is so attractive. He made me look at God from a whole different perspective. Compelling, indeed. 




And, a special shout out to all the scientists and engineers I have had the honour to meet. I marvel at your wisdom. In a next week’s blog you will hear from one of the wisest. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Della...great post...thank you. Autistic??? In dealing with my son's dyslexia over the years, somewhere in the numerous conversations, Einstein's name would always be used as "the most famous" dyslexic! And usually the story would follow..."while he was dealing with questions of higher math, he would always have his secretary check the calculations on his pay envelope to make sure no mistakes had been made." He apparently didn't "do" simple math!

    ReplyDelete