Number 26 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Joan Marshall
July 01, 2013
Joan has one of those big personalities - full of life and not afraid to say what is on her mind. She is a compelling communicator via her conviction to do a great job. Whether that job is as a Mom, a News Producer or a Communications professional, she embraces her responsibilities fully. Aside from sharing her wisdom to motivate others, she pays close attention to what is being said... and at times from what is not spoken. Newsroom training makes for keen listeners and observers - both critical elements of good communications. Enjoy this romp with Joan...
Outgoing and exuberant.
What helped you become a good communicator?
Books (which ones?) - I read everything from the Bobsey Twins through to teen reads and magazines.
School (which instructor?) - I had a fantastic grade 11 English teacher who saved me. She once told me that I reminded her of Faye Dunaway in Network which was prophetic. I tracked her down about five years ago to tell her she was the one who made a difference in my education. I also had a university prof that was very popular with students...his secret was that he cared passionately about his chosen field. His enthusiasm was contagious...
Mentors, family, friends, co-workers - A family friend who was a woman and ended up being the guidance counsellor in my high school always made me feel that I was special and could achieve things. When I got married she gave the toast to the bride. I had recently for an investigative piece about an AK-47 and was marrying a rugby player who played for the Assassins. She had fun with that.
Observing others (who?) - I have been blessed to work with many talented and creative people.
What are the traits of a good communicator?
The ability to observe, listen and convey the essence of ideas in simple language. To be enthusiastic about what you talk about and have passion.
What tip or advice would you give to help people become better communicators?
Care and be clear in what you are trying to say.
What is your biggest communication related pet peeve?
I dislike insincere platitudes that communicators give. The one that sends me over the edge is "our hearts and prayers go out to..." I find this blatantly disrespectful because it is disingenious to believe that anyone feels that about someone they don't know...what is wrong with saying..."We are sorry this happened"? I think communicators hurt themselves by not being genuine.
Who do you think is a famous compelling communicator? And, what makes him or her compelling?
I think Barack Obama at the Democratic Convention in 2004 blew everyone away and it was no surprise that he became President. He was clear, concise and passionate but so committed.
Please share a communications story (good or bad) that will be beneficial for others.
I think it was Linda Ellerbee
who said that news is most often a record of human failing. As a result,
people who work in news become somewhat enured to stories of people behaving
badly. It is the stories of people doing the right and honourable thing
that will bring news people to their knees. When you run the story about
a heartless thief taking someone's wheelchair, no one in the control room
cries. But when someone comes forward to pay for a new one...there is
rarely a dry eye in the control room.
In Newsrooms, we play this unofficial trivia game about things that have happened in the past. Invariably the stories people remember with detail are ones that have touched them as human beings. They must resonate with us emotionally. A story should make you feel something. Anyone can present facts, but the gifted story tellers take us on a journey of evocative language and emotion. Don't tell me about a breakthrough cancer drug, let a person using the drug tell their story.
People who work in communications need to know that stories that resonate with the public are ones involving real people telling personal stories. As people responsible for messages we need to find ways for things to stick in a fast paced world where people are bombarded by information.
In Newsrooms, we play this unofficial trivia game about things that have happened in the past. Invariably the stories people remember with detail are ones that have touched them as human beings. They must resonate with us emotionally. A story should make you feel something. Anyone can present facts, but the gifted story tellers take us on a journey of evocative language and emotion. Don't tell me about a breakthrough cancer drug, let a person using the drug tell their story.
People who work in communications need to know that stories that resonate with the public are ones involving real people telling personal stories. As people responsible for messages we need to find ways for things to stick in a fast paced world where people are bombarded by information.
One of the stories that
has haunted me for years involves a reporter who took the time to get to
know a family who became victims of a terrible crime. In the fall of
1997, Doug Holtam took a hammer to his pregnant wife as she slept. His 7
year old daughter heard something and came into the room. He hit her three times
in the head with the hammer. He did the same to his 8 year old son who
was in the stairwell. Holtam's wife and daughter died. But Cody
survived after spending weeks in a coma. He went to live with a
maternal aunt and uncle during his rehabilitation. Eventually he went
back to school. There kids teased him about the scars on his head.
So he asked the teacher if he could tell the class what happened. This
brave little boy stood at the front of his class and told everyone that his
father had tried to kill him. The reporter who covered the murder and the
trial forged a relationship with the maternal grandmother and when the trial
ended she told this story. She used a home video of these children playing
in the snow that was so heartbreaking that I have never forgotten
them. I don't know if it was because I had recently become a
parent, but that is one of the stories that to this day still brings tears to
my eyes.
As a producer, one of
my daily challenges is to encourage reporters to tell stories with
heart and humanity. It is truly what makes a reporter great and
memorable. It is what makes any story teller memorable. Connect to
me, with words and expression and I will remember your story.
Joan Marshall is the Senior Producer for CBC News. She is responsible for show coverage in Vancouver.

0 comments