Number 32: Communicating at First Sight.

August 06, 2012



As a child who moved a few times, I learned early not to eagerly embrace the first kid in the neighbourhood or class who tried to befriend me. While sometimes they turned out to be a pal, I became a quick study of the ones that would not be my cup of tea. Most people make snap judgments in those first few minutes of introduction, no matter what the circumstance. For some it may be based on physical appearance, but for the majority I expect it has to do more with what is said and facial expressions. If we want to connect and be compelling communicators, we need to work harder at that first moment.

I have a friend who is a great “networker.” She can breezily talk with just about anyone at any type of function and make a good impression. She is bright, articulate and asks great questions. She listens intently and can readily reintroduce people who join in the conversation. I have watched her, as well as others, in action and here are just some of the magical things they do:

-look people in the eye
-pay close attention to the name of the person and quickly ask how they are connected to the event
-stick around long enough to have a conversation and make a connection
-be observant and bring others into to the conversation who are standing nearby
-stay totally focused on the people who are talking and retain what they say
-find ways to connect something to their own life/work and offer up future opportunities to meet/talk or introduce them to someone else
-participate in more than one conversation all night

I tend to disregard that last tip and hang with one or two people. I am not good at circulating at events and prefer to stay put and have a good conversation with a select few. I am totally comfortable meeting new people as I find a majority of them have something interesting to say or share, I just find it hard to uncover that gem quickly. Everyone has their own style and knowing the style that fits you is also part of being a good communicator. I am a one-off networker.

Facial expressions also are a key to good or bad introductions. A warm smile versus a scowl obviously makes a statement. Some people have no idea how they appear. Furrowed brows, frowns and frantic appearances are major turn-offs. While I am rarely late, I have learned to stop and take a deep breath if I am delayed. Nobody is impressed with someone who dashes into a room looking disheveled and panicky.

So, in a nutshell, making a good first impression has nothing to do with you — it is all about the other person and how you leave them feeling.

Think of a recent gathering where you met someone new. How did they make you feel? Anybody want to share some good or bad examples? Please post your comments.

We’ve been talking about “low-risk” situations such as social get-togethers. What happens when we enter “high-risk” situations where there is a problem or controversy? How does your first impression strategy change? That, in next week’s post, That Don’t Impress Me At All.

You Might Also Like

0 comments