Deconstructing with Della: What would Walter say?

November 20, 2017

Walter Cronkite's final day as CBC News Anchor (CBS News)

As much as I embraced social media fairly early – Facebook tells me I have been with them for 10 years – I have always been aware of the downside of believing what I see in print.

From years in the communications business, I can go through a newscast or newspaper and have a pretty good idea of how the stories originated and who generated the coverage. While that is not as easy to discern on social media, the free wheeling nature of this medium reinforces the need to be better consumers/critical thinkers of information. Any scenario where we don't have first hand knowledge or a totally trusted source should be met with some trepidation.

My good friend Ken Dobell recently alerted me to an article in theEconomist about how social media is hurting democracy. My mom brought the same article to my attention. I think they were trying to tell me something. Both are skeptics of the online world of social media and for good reason when we see how political players are duping people with false information. But, as my 94-year-old mom would say, that has always been the case. Propaganda and misleading information has been around for a long time. Typically, it is about power and greed. You can find evidence of propaganda campaigns as early as 515 BC.  Invention of the printing press around 1440 seemed to escalate the practice akin to how to how we view the online world today.

While I am a skeptic of social media information, I can still see the benefit of people having a greater voice. The recent #metoo campaign and outcry against sexual abuse may never have had such influence without Twitter. We never would be been able to access or share information about climate change and other worldly issues as fast without this forum. Sure, it is not perfect but neither was communicating via traditional media in years past.

Way back when, I would often reference Walter Cronkite’s campaign telling people how to read a newspaper. It seems to me we have always jumped to conclusions about things that confirm our beliefs. There is definitely a problem with filtered, aggregated information selected for us based on what we click, like and share. But aside from laws and regulations that seem to take forever to enact, we have a responsibility to become savvier. While Mr. Cronkite’s messages might appear archaic there is still sound advice you can apply to today: “Learn to sift it for yourself, to heft it, to value it, to question it, to ask for it all. You’ll be in better control of your life and your fortunes.”

Reading opposing views, following a story through a variety of sources, delving deeper than the first 140 characters, listening to many perspectives and being willing to change our point of view is an individual choice and responsibility.

Hopefully as people realize they have been duped, they will get smarter about checking their sources and their beliefs.


To deconstruct:  Don't believe everything you read.

You Might Also Like

0 comments