Deconstructing with Della: Vague is as vague does

August 21, 2017



I was listening to a social media etiquette expert the other day and she said the number one online no-no is vague postings. We all know this type of communicator. A person who posts some random photo with no explanation or says they are so sad. Then, the obligatory questions come from people (sweeter than me) asking the person who posted, where they are or what is wrong. Ugh. I refuse to play along.

Why do they do that? Is it a need for attention? There is a term for it on Facebook, it is called vaguebooking. Often the post is an angry rant about someone or something and people end up speculating as to the source of the issue. When people vaguebook too much, people end up unfriending them or using the "hide" feature.

However, it is not only on social media sites where we see vague communication. I get them via email as well. People who say they can't participate in something or want to change a date but offer no explanation or alternative dates. Grrr...is that passive aggressive behaviour?

I don't need to know the entire story but why bother with half hearted communication? I can't imagine this happening in a live conversation. "Sigh, I am just wondering if it is all worth it." Seriously, would someone say something like that without further explanation or some context? 

Here are some of the classic Vaguebooking comments:

Fantastic day, big things coming...

Just don't ask.....

PM me if you know of a good job opportunity....

You think you know people...

RIP.....

Guess having a best friend is overrated....

Well, there go my dreams.....

To deconstruct, social media is social and even the most casual of conversation requires some context. Forcing others to pry details out of you appears needy and is tiresome - in my humble opinion. I can see how it might work well as a teaser campaign in marketing but communicating through online venues is more like a conversation. Elon Musk, the Tesla creator does this well on Twitter to promote his "boring" company. Twitter seems like a better forum for that style of vague snippet to spark interest. Even though he is vague, his followers understand the context and it creates a lot of dialogue.

Please enlighten me if I am off base here. Who likes those Vaguebook posts?

You Might Also Like

0 comments