Deconstructing with Della: Google honey, I'm home.
January 16, 2017
If you are like me and have always wanted a personal robot, you can now have the next best thing - a personal digital assistant through Google Home.
Most of us call upon google for just about everything we need to know anyway. The new Google Home gadget might be just the ticket for those folks who are more comfortable with voice commands. For $130 this could be an ideal option for people on the go.
Deconstructing any type of bot technology typically generates naysayers or "never in my home" comments. I get that people feel overwhelmed, intimidated and fearful of new tech gadgets. The concept of "always on" technology is creating some cause for concern. The Amazon Echo (same concept as Google Home) murder case is one to watch. The investigators believe information may have been recorded and maintained by Amazon. Amazon has complied with the search warrants but only with the specific bits in question.
I have become desensitized to a lot of privacy concerns. At one time, it bothered me to see ads popping up in Google based on my searches but now I hardly notice. I ignore or X out most ads immediately. And, unless I was planning some type of illegal activity (I am not), I won't worry about too much about what Google knows. They already know so much.
After reading the reviews, I am going to wait and be a mid-adopter on this one. I am sure a 2018 version will be tweaked to make it even better. I love technology that helps us communicate better or get information we desire. Seems like Google is letting the momentum on this one build slowly. Perhaps they have been burned by hyping other less than successful initiatives such as Google Glasses.
Technology not only needs to perform, it has to look good. Apple made that our expectation.
As Wired magazine notes:
Any gadget sitting front-and-center in your home had better look nice. Home does. It sits 6 inches tall, with a bulbous bottom and a sharply sloped top which makes it easy to see the four lights that indicate Home is listening or working. It looks like something you might plant a succulent in, or a modernist orange juice carafe. Or an air freshener.
Time will tell on its success if we are all buying Google Home for Christmas presents next year.

0 comments