Reflection 45 of 52: Can we connect without saying a word?

November 10, 2014


One of the best things about my work is the people I meet. I had the good fortune to provide some presentation tips to a woman preparing for a TEDx talk. This woman does humanitarian work in Africa but her story was much bigger than her contributions in that part of the world.

Her story is about giving without expectation. It sounds like such a simple, altruistic idea but when taken to practical implementation, it is much more than that. She shared how her family received anonymous financial help as she was growing up. They were poor and someone graciously made sure they did not go without, year after year. She never found out who shared so selflessly but it impacted her and how she lives her life. Her amazing charitable work is a result of freely giving without any expectation on how she will be rewarded.

Of course, she is rewarded with the good feeling and love from the people she helps but she is not focused on that.

One of the examples she uses is the paying the bill for the customer behind you in the drive-through at Starbucks. When she first mentioned it, I thought, “Who cares about giving to someone in a Starbucks line up, they obviously don’t need the money!” The more she talked, the more I got it. It was not about a financial need, it was about doing something good for someone else anonymously and the potential impact that could have.

Imagine if someone paid for your order and how that would make you feel for the rest of the day. There would be no way to say thank you, but I think it might have an impact on what you would do or say for, at least, a few hours.

So, I thought I would try it. It  took a few attempts, as I seem to hit the drive-through on slow times with no one behind me. Finally, this week I had my opportunity. It was such a glorious feeling looking in my rear view mirror at the young couple about to have their coffees and breakfast paid for. They had no idea they were being watched as they kissed and chatted while awaiting their morning brew. I wondered how they might feel and what might transpire in their day that would help someone or do some good. Not knowing is the cool part.

As I told the cashier I would pay for the order behind me, he asked if they were friends. Nope, just trying to make their day a little brighter. He looked surprised. Funny, since I thought this was a well-known little act of kindness. Anyway, he thought it was pretty cool and it seemed to make his day too.

As I drove off, I chuckled at the thought of the tiny gift and what might transpire. I know I was not supposed to have an expectation of reward but it did feel good.

To answer the first question, I believe we can connect without ever saying a word, just by spreading a little bit of good cheer for no reason at all.

Try it, and you will see what I mean.

You Might Also Like

0 comments