Reflection 24 of 52: Can you connect with teens when you are over 30?
June 16, 2014
I am
fascinated by John Green, author of the best selling book - The Fault in Our
Stars. Don’t feel like you have been in a cave if you don’t instantly recognize
the name. It is a teen book. You may
have seen trailers hyping a movie of the same name. His book sales are
currently around the 10 million mark and will undoubtedly soar higher with the
movie. Amazingly the book is about a young person with cancer, a topic you
might not expect to resonate with a younger demographic. What does seem to connect for his many young fans,
is the relationship component of the story between Hazel Grace and Augustus.
Isn’t that what most of us want in a book or film? I am only half way through the book and find the characters likable and engaging.
See what
this young woman, with the YouTube signature "mothereffingbooks" has to say. Love the passion among these adolescent videographers:
This
novelist has built a massive following, which passionately go by the
handle – nerdfighters. How this 30-something guy created such a devoted tribe
is worth noting. His approach from a strategic communications perspective would
work with just about any audience if you look beyond the tactic. I have
attempted to illustrate the bigger picture idea behind some of the amazing
things he has done and how I might adapt and use the concepts.
1. Love your marketing stuff.
John
and his brother toured the US in a van painted in the colours of The Fault in
our Stars doing a show for fans. Totally outside of the classic book tour. When
I launch my book, I want to do something with a hologram. I love that technology
and ultimately want to send my “other” self out to do the book promo. That way
I can stay home and connect directly with people who want to share their
stories with me. Unless, of course, there is a book signing in Tuscany.
2. Love your tribe.
John’s quote from the Washington Post says it
best:
“I think when old people try to be hip and cool it’s just the
worst. . . . Whenever they try to come up with a social media plan that ‘young
people will respond to!’ it gives me the shivers,” said Green, who’s 36 and
married with two children. “I think the key to being relatable to teenagers is
talking to them as if they were human beings instead of as if they’re cool
teens or something. If you’re open and authentic with teenagers they tend to
respond pretty respectfully and really intelligently.”
I could
not agree more. It is not about the “social media plan” for anything; it is
about connecting respectfully with people as people.
The
audience for my book is people who rarely, if ever, get communications skills
training. They are the people in the trenches who could benefit personally and
professionally from an “easy to read” communications guidebook.
My goal
is to get their organizations to pay for copies of my book for them…and bring
me (or my hologram) to speak at their events or conferences. I want
organizations to recognize the value in giving their people more communications
tools and support.
3. Share the
love freely.
Green and
his brother did a series of YouTube videos generating some 1.5 billion views. They
create content the audience likes. I strive to do that with my blog, sharing
ideas that might be helpful in some way. Sharing feels so good. Like giving
someone a gift. Once my book is complete, I will kick off a new blog focused
totally on using the book tips and techniques, where people can ask questions
and/or share experiences. The more sharing, the better. We will all keep learning together.
4. Love
yourself.
John is
so darn transparent; it makes me want to do the same. He has read parts of his
book online to get reactions and shares his fears readily. He has definitely
said no to perfection. I am still working on this as I hide behind my kimono
and only let my editor and workshop planner read my crappy drafts. Doing this
blog has been part of my build up to opening that kimono.
5. Do it for
love not money.
From
everything I have read, John Green felt compelled to write this book. He did
not do it because he thought it would be a best seller, he just felt he had to
do it. Gotcha. For all those earnest writers/authors out there know this to be
true. It is a burning passion or you would abandon the arduous process in a
minute. It took Mr. Green over 10 years to get this book done. Whew, thanks
John Green for the reprieve on that front. As I enter year 6 on this book
writing journey, it is definitely not a money making proposition.
So, to
answer the initial question about relating to teens once you pass the 30 age
mark… of course, you can… if you think like John Green.
.jpg)
0 comments