Reflection 21 of 52: Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

May 26, 2014



I rarely fly Air Canada. After years of grouchy attendants and horrible service rep interactions, I avoided this airline, even if it meant changing my travel plans. At one point, I was so mad I cut up my President’s Club card (a honour they bestowed on those of us who accrued scads of travel time) and sent it to the CEO along with my suggestions for improvement. They did not even send me a form letter apology. I walked with my dollars.

Recently, I needed a quick 45 minute trip to the Interior to facilitate a session and Air Canada was the only viable option. As my colleague and I arrived at the check-in kiosk, the computer would not let me check my bag and my ticket said “gate”. My colleague who booked the tickets had an assigned seat and was free to check in. The first customer service person I asked about this rudely brushed me off by saying I was randomly selected to be put on “standby”, which is a regular occurrence. WTF? Why on earth would anyone book a flight and expect to be put on standby? As we went to the ticket counter, we were advised that the flight was overbooked and travellers would be offered $400 to not take the flight so I should be okay to get on. My bag would be kept back until the last moment in case a seat did not become available but I should not be concerned as it was likely I would get on that flight.  I calmly stated how ridiculous this was and as I asked more questions our “agent” got more shirty with me. I needed to know if there were other later flights. I asked if if I could take my colleague's seat as I had a meeting upon arrival at my destination. All standard questions, I would assume, given my situation. He would not even look me in the eye. You could tell he was exacerbated by my continued dialogue.

In the book Nerve, by Taylor Clark, the author says stress comes from things that are unpredictable and out of our control. Got it. Even though I knew I would eventually get to my locale, I was feeling a tad stressed and a bit more than frustrated.

As we arrived at the gate we spotted an Air Canada “customer service” desk. Dare I try to communicate with them to see what I might accomplish? Never one to give up on the power of communication, I tried again. Once more, I was told it was random and to go sit and wait until I was called.

Finally, I was called up to the desk. As I expressed my relief in getting on the flight, the attendant mockingly said, “Of course you are getting on the flight, why would you be concerned?!” 

Four interactions with Air Canada representatives and all four highly disappointing. It does not end here. When we arrived my colleague went online right away to once again confirm our seat selection for the flight home. When she told me the flights were in row 13, I said that might not be a good omen.

The return trip seemed good. We did not get the "gate" boarding notation. Happily, we boarded. As we dragged our bags down the cramped aisleway, we got to the back of the plane only to discover the seating stopped at row 12. At this point we are starting to get the giggles. One of the passengers said she thought row 13 was at the front. I have been flying regularly for the past 40 years and have never heard of such a thing. As we turned to look at the front, we see the pilot and flight attendant waving us back up the aisle. We were guided to two seats facing everyone on the plane across from the single flight attendant seat. Our bags were whisked away from us, as there was no space for luggage. My colleague had to quickly pull out the laptop as another bag and her purse was taken from her.  We felt totally upended and disheveled. It was so ridiculous; we got into a fit of laughter as the rest of the passengers stared at us uncomfortably.

I guess they all assumed we would know the location of row 13. 

Air Canada, what a culture you breed. All breakdowns in communication that lead to two people swearing to never fly with you again. I know this is a first world problem but still, the communication was unacceptable. I just heard Air Canada had another mishap with a flight where the toilet was not working and a man had to pee into a bag. There is always a worse story with this company.

So, while I think that you can teach some old dogs new tricks, this old dog is just as bad as ever. #aircanadafail

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Unfortunately I think you are right - Air Canada will never learn. Your experience sounds like one that would have had most people pulling out their hair in frustration. It is always shocking to me when a customer or client provides real feedback and no one at the organization seems to listen or care. There are many of us that will choose ANY other airline rather than Air Canada - their lack of customer concern and service, their arrogance and their inability to realize that is this connected world that we talk to each other and that matters amazes me. When flying in Canada, we choose West Jet whenever we possibly can. They have proven that they are committed to learning new tricks - and taking care of their passengers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone (I know you're too busy!) should create a "Craigslist-like" web site dedicated to stories of shitty customer service...call it The Shitlist!!! Not only would it be amusing (give prizes for the "best" stories), but perhaps then companies, like Air Canada (won't fly) might get the message. There would have to be a separate Air Canada section!!!

    ReplyDelete