Reflection 11 of 52: What assumptions have you made lately?

March 17, 2014



As our global community shrinks, communication assumptions spring up in the most unusual places. Here are three unrelated but illustrative scenarios that made me rethink my expectations. 

I have been following a Kickstarter campaign raising funds for a movie called Being George Clooney.

This is a profile of the men who audio dub for Mr. Clooney around the world. A Brazilian Emergency Room doctor is just one of 24 gents that bring a Clooney type voice to the audiences in all corner of the world.  How fascinating that our expectations have evolved to this level and how much support a movie such as this can generate. I would never even have imagined there would be jobs like this. I just assumed it would not matter if an actor sounded different in another language. How wrong was that?

Then, I was crabbing to a friend about a junk removal service not advising me their workers are not allowed to walk over snow. My pal reminded me the call taker was probably somewhere far, far away. That person would have not heard about our freak snowfall and perhaps had never even experienced the chilly white stuff. I was not thinking about that as I shoveled away the frozen icy mess with an audience of two buff young men. Obviously, this company had a good call centre to give me the feeling they were just down the street. Wrong assumption number two.

The third circumstance came while I was doing a training session. We were reenacting a presentation given to an audience in Romania. The group was telling me how unresponsive their colleagues are in that country. When the presentation finished we all just looked at the presenter. Even in a mock situation we had nothing to say. The group had no call to action; it was purely a “state of the nation” talk. When the group realized it was not the audience they were completely taken aback. They had just assumed it was a cultural difference and I bought into that assumption until we heard the presentation.

Technology is pushing us along this path toward the global village that has been touted many times.

I often see examples of the need to bridge our many communities through better communication and fewer assumptions.

We need to dump many of our preconceived ideas if we truly want to connect in our brave new world.

Have you made any unusual assumptions lately?

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Great post Della and an excellent reminder of looking deeper and the importance of looking at things from the audience or receiver's perspective.

    ReplyDelete