Number 10 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Janet McCartney
March 11, 2013
Janet McCartney exudes style and warmth. When she walks into a room or on to a stage you feel that immediate"law of attraction." I had the opportunity to see her in action when she was hosting a TED audition here in Vancouver. She produces global events for TED so it is rare to find her in Vancouver. I was taken by her ability to get a rather rambunctious audience focused and attentive quickly. She commands attention, quietly. Maybe that's how we ended up with TED moving their main conference to the Westcoast.
How would you describe yourself as a child?
Somewhere between shy and outgoing. I started out as a wallflower but became more exuberant as I grew older. I am fiercely independent but still spend a great deal of time by myself willingly. Love to be social, love to be alone.
What helped you become a good communicator?
Books (which ones?) - Oh yes. Lots of them. Weekly library visits. From Agatha Christie mysteries to Penguin classics. I love words.
Online sources/newsletters (which ones?) - Brain Pickings Weekly
School (which instructor?) - Mrs. Lewis, beloved Grade 4 and 5 teacher. Grade 5 English teacher, Capitol Hill Elementary (I'm embarrassed to say I forget her name)
Mentors, family, friends, co-workers - Chris Anderson, Curator, TED. Ronda Carnegie, Head of Global Partnerships, TED. Della Smith, Principal, PJS Communications.
Observing others (who?) - Bruno Guissani, European Director, TED
Other - I love movies and books. I love painting pictures with words. I believe words and the way we line them up when before we speak them will trigger a specific outcome from the listener, and the more we study and develop the techniques, the more power we have over the outcomes.
What are the traits of a good communicator?
Listening. Pausing. Giving consideration to other people's ideas. Introspection. Self-awareness. Good enunciation. Putting yourself in the place of the listener to try to understand what they do and don't understand, what they do and don't know and make sure you address that in your communication.
What tip or advice would you give to help people become better communicators?
Listen more, speak less. Putting yourself in the place of the listener to try to understand what they do and don't understand, what they do and don't know and make sure you address that in your communication. Edit, edit and then edit again.
What is your biggest communication related pet peeve?
People who don't listen.
Janet McCartney is a Producer of Global Conferences and Events. She is the director of events for TED. She is also a business owner, leader and mentor. Janet's company is Procreation Design Works.

0 comments