Number 7 of 52 Compelling Communicators: Alison Higgins

February 18, 2013

Alison Higgins is one of those extraordinary writers. She can morph her style to fit just about any type of personality. I had the pleasure of working with Alison for many years and marveled at her chameleon-like talent. The fine art of being compelling in someone else's voice is rare. Some of the topics were as dry as dust but not after Alison cleaned them up. Her pet peeve below is one that I am sure we all share. Thanks Higgs.


How would you describe yourself as a child?
Shy and reserved. My mother always talked about me "living in my own world" and says that I didn't come out of my shell until I was in my early teens.

What helped you become a good communicator?
Books - I often turn to books to help me communicate with my son, who has Asperger Syndrome. He is very verbal but often does not pick up on communication subtleties or accurately interpret messages. The many books I have read on Aspergers have helped me to better understand his perspective, and to find constructive ways of improving our communications. 

Online Sources/Newsletters - On-line sources have been very valuable in helping me be a better communicator. If I'm looking for support in a particular area, I generally will Google the topic. 

For example, some months back I was invited to attend a networking club breakfast as a guest (my first networking meeting in quite a number of years) and needed to prepare an elevator pitch to introduce myself to the group. I Googled the subject and drew input from several different websites. As a result, I was able to prepare and confidently deliver a concise, effective self-introduction. I also use the web extensively to gather information about communicating with specific audiences. I have been diagnosed with several chronic medical conditions and have found a number of good websites on these conditions that offer really good advice on communicating with doctors. 

Similarly,  I have found a lot of good information on-line and about how to communicate effectively with my "Aspie" son's teachers, others in the school system and medical/health care specialists who provide therapeutic interventions to my son. 

Mentors/Family/Friends/Co-workers - My former boss Della Smith is one of the best communicators I know and an amazing teacher by example. I have also learned a lot from other colleagues, friends and family. I am always evaluating how others communicate and have a running mental "dos and don'ts" list that I try to apply to my own daily communication. 

Observing Others (Who?) - I am always watching how other people I encounter through the course of my day communicate.

What are the traits of a good communicator?
- The ability to see things from others' perspectives 
- Sensitivity to the emotions, needs and biases of others 
- An appreciation for the supreme importance of non-verbal messages (i.e., body language, facial expression) 
- Knowledge of the subject matter being communicated 
- The ability to present information in an organized and cohesive fashion 
- The ability to connect with others 
- Knowing when to stop 
- Respect for your audience

What tip or advice would you give someone to become a better communicator?
Recognize that communication is a two-way street. Your audience will hear you better if you take the time to understand where they're coming from before you speak.

What is your biggest communication pet-peeve?
People who only talk about themselves.

Alison Higgins (aka "Higgs") describes herself as a long-time (30-plus years) professional communicator who sometimes struggles with communicating verbally but does a great job at, and loves, communicating on paper. She considers herself a wordsmith and currently works part-time as a freelance writer.

You Might Also Like

0 comments