Number 52: The Closer.
December 24, 2012
What could be more fitting than to end my year-long blog with how to wrap up conversations, meeting, speeches and the like?
Ending conversations well takes some preplanning and effort. Personal and business conversations should reflect what you have shared, along with wishes for success on an endeavour, improved health or something related to what has been discussed. It shows you listened well and you care. It may even be a reminder of a promise of information that was mentioned earlier. And, remember to thank the person for their time, insight or anything else of value they have contributed. People like to be acknowledged.
Meetings are notoriously hard to end. As a facilitator and trainer, I always promise to end on time. People cannot stand meetings that run over time. Check out this recent study.
Listed below are the top gripes regarding business meetings. This survey was conducted in July 2011 of 1,000 senior managers by Accountemps, a worldwide employment staffing service.
*Not keeping to a schedule (28%)
*Meetings that seem unnecessary (22%)
*Attendees using PDAs or laptops for non-meeting activities (20%)
*People interrupting each other (18%)
No surprises there. Ending a meeting well means making sure everyone knows when there are only five or 10 minutes left and deciding the next steps, even if it means a group decision to carry on or book more time, and then recapping what has been accomplished. If nothing has been accomplished, talk about why it has not worked and change it up for the next time. Do meeting effectiveness surveys — even if it is two or three questions asking for feedback on improving the outcomes.
For any kind of speech or presentation, I am a fan of the double-close. There are many times have I observed great speeches falling flat at the end with the presenter mumbling his or her finale: “Well, I guess that is it.” To conclude with pizzazz, you need a double-close. First, you need a great line that tells the audience you are finished, even if it is just a reminder of your main point and a thank-you. Most speeches or presentations have a question period so after you open up for questions, you need to get prepared with your next close. That final close is what people frequently remember, so make it great. Thank people for their questions and interest, and say you have one more thought to leave them. I know the old style of presenting says tell them your main points, tell them again and then tell them what you told them. What a bore. I want to startle them with another great final thought, point or brilliant quote that will stick with them as they leave the room. Leave them wanting more. Just like a great party, better to leave at midnight having had a great time, than stay until 3 a.m. as the party dribbles down to a few stragglers.
When I was asked by a good friend to speak at her 60th birthday party, I sought to end on a high note (no question period here obviously) but I also wanted her to know how much I valued her friendship without being too sappy and with a little bit of humour. So, I borrowed from A.A. Milne and used this line said by Piglet to Winnie the Pooh: “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” Barely a dry eye in the house.
Take lessons from the great speech writers in history. Mr. Sam Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, had fabulous endings connecting him strongly to his audience. In 1890 as a guest speaker to the Woman’s Press Club, here is how he concluded:
“As a final instance of the force of limitations in the development of concentration, I must mention that beautiful creature, Helen Keller, who I have known for these many years. I am filled with the wonder of her knowledge, acquired because of being shut out from all distraction. If I could have been deaf, dumb and blind I also might have arrived at something.”
He was talking about concentration and left them with a memorable and new thought, while still connecting to his topic. Powerful.
So as I finish off this last blog post in this year long series, I want to leave you with one more thought, stolen from the car maker Henry Ford but adding my own twist for the 21st century:
Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.
Blogging together has been a blast. Thank you!
Next year, I will be presenting profiles of compelling communicators on this blog - some will be people I know and others will be people I have observed. As always, your feedback is appreciated and taken to heart.

1 comments
What a great final post in this series, Della. Lots to think about, as always, and you left us wanting more.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the lessons I have learned this year.